RISE UP AGAINST ABUSE is an initiative focused on taking action against all forms of abuse through awareness, education, intervention and prevention.
This initiative officially launched with its first Rise Up Rally from March 7 - 10, 2019, on the campus of Andrews University. ABC57 South Bend covered this event and reported on it here.
- Raise awareness about all forms of abuse.
- Educate about all forms of abuse, related issues & phenomena.
- Provide creative and practical opportunities for victims and survivors to be heard, loved and supported.
- Provide resources and practical pathways for prevention.
- Critically challenge individuals, organizations and institutions to implement effective sustainable changes to prevent all forms of abuse and to take appropriate actions against it.
- Critically challenge faith-based organizations, churches, schools, universities and communities to make effective sustainable changes to prevent all forms of abuse, particularly abuse against vulnerable individuals and groups, and to take appropriate actions against it.
- Work diligently to bring about policy changes within institutional and organizational contexts to ensure the protection, the prevention of abuse and equality of women.
CREATOR & CO-FOUNDER: Dominique Gummelt, PhD, CPT, CWP
Dominique is an energetic, innovative and creative international speaker, certified personal trainer (ACE), wellness practitioner (NWI), lecturer, author, filmmaker, hobby photographer and musician. As a survivor of abuse, a defier of the odds and a thriver of life, she loves to help other people live better, happier, healthier and more meaningful lives to their fullest potential – no matter the circumstances. She has been actively involved in advocacy against abuse since 2017 and is dedicated to keep fighting for all abuse victims and to bring about positive changes through awareness, education, intervention and prevention.
Connect with Dominique: www.dominiquegummelt.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
CO-FOUNDER: Michael Nixon, JD
Michael is the Vice President for Diversity & Inclusion at Andrews University. He is also as an Associate Professor in the History & Political Science Department where serves as the Pre-Law Advisor. Prior to this work, Michael served as the Legal Coordinator for the Fair Housing Justice Center in New York City. He has a law degree from the John Marshall Law School (JMLS) in Chicago, Illinois, and a Bachelor of Science degree in Political Science from Andrews University. He became a member of the New York State Bar in 2014. Michael co-founded “Against The Wall” along with his wife, Pastor Tacyana Nixon and Pastor Ty Gibson which focuses on speaking with passionate clarity against walls of racial separation and injustice across the globe – both inside and outside of the Adventist Church. Michael and his wife have a little girl, Noa Elise Nixon who is 3.